Our whole household has caught a cold. So I’m forgoing the pumps today. Or real clothes in general. I’m totally in my pajamas and a robe I pilfered from my husband’s side of the closet. I’ve been plying the kids with tea with ginger, lemon and honey… and just hoping we’ll all feel much better tomorrow. We’re still on track with school. The kids have learned a couple of new songs and are getting better with some short sentences and phrases in Chinese. We found a cute little exercise song, and Xiao Tu Zi Guai Guai. They’re both immediate favorites.
I’ve started some baking in preparation for tomorrow’s feast. Right now I’ve got white chocolate-cranberry muffins baking in the oven. I’ve got an apple pie and a pumpkin pie to make today as well. I’ll be doing the turkey, ham, yams, green bean casserole, parmesan corn muffins, rolls, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy all fresh tomorrow.
And in closing, here’s a recipe for apple cranberry stuffing. I like to prepare mine outside the bird, but it can be done either way:
- 4 cups cubed tapioca bread, (6 slices)
- 4 cups rice (or brown rice) bread, (6 slices)
- Giblets from 1 turkey, liver discarded
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh sage, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried, rubbed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries,
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine chicken broth and cranberries; let soak for 30 minutes.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, giblets and celery; cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently or until tender. Add apples and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and place in a large bowl. Stir in chicken broth mixture. Add toasted bread, thyme, and sage, stirring gently to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared dish and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until center is set.